Saturday 30 December 2017

Review of the day

Yesterday was one of those TVB days, which comes around from time to time…

Whilst the tips have been doing little more than treading water for the past month, I knew from my performance, both in the forum Naps competition; and from the Lunchtime Naps on the blog; that I was reading things well – and I think yesterday proved that point !

I previewed the 10 main races on the day, from Ascot and Haydock – and managed 2 winning tips; 4 winning mentions – and 2 winning eye catchers !

I’ve no idea what happened in the 2 other races !!

In terms of the tips, then Ubaltique got things off to a great start, at Haydock.
I actually thought he was beaten, when he made a mess of the fourth last – but an ability to handle the desperate ground was crucial – and he relished it.

Whilst his rivals were starting to paddle, he just put his head down and ploughed on.
A mistake by Uno Valeroso at the last, sealed the deal – but I suspect that Ubaltique would have worn him down, regardless…

Things didn’t go quite so well for the next tips to run – in the 2 mile chase at Ascot.
I’d split stakes between Un Beau Roman and Rock on Rocky – but was a little fearful of the eye catcher, Mr Medic.

Un Beau Roman, ran no sort of a race – but Rock on Rocky relished the step up in trip and went like the winner, for almost the entire race.

It was literally, only in the last stride, that Mr Medic managed to catch him – in a finish reminiscent of the one endured by Flintham, last season (I’m going to write to Ascot and ask them to shorten the run-in by 10 metres !)

Regal Encore was the next tip to run – but despite being well backed pre-race, he was never really travelling and was pulled up, just after half way.
Consistency isn’t his strong point, so he was always likely to either win or not finish.

The final tips on the day, ran in the final race at Ascot.
I was quite keen on Veinard in the race – but just couldn’t let go of the jockey bookings.

I would have expected him to be partnered by Jack Kennedy, so the fact Kennedy was over, but to ride Hunters Call, struck me as really significant.

I can’t say I’ve tipped many horses based purely on jockey bookings – but I’m very glad I did with him !

He cantered through the race – before quickening clear up the home straight – and winning,  eased up, by 3 lengths.
You certainly won’t see many easier winners of a valuable handicap.

Meanwhile, Veinard cantered through the race – and was still cantering when he went past the post.
I think he’s what is called ‘a bridle horse’ !

With regard to the Mentions, then they got off to a great start, when One of Us won the opener at Ascot.
I really did want to tip him – but I just couldn’t bring myself to take 7/1 in a complex 15 runner handicap – particularly when there was a fair amount of guesswork.

The fact he was well backed, made me feel that I’d probably read things right – and he was an ultra game winner…

Cap Soleil and Limited Reserve both managed to get the job done at Haydock – though maybe not as easily as I would have expected, considering their respective prices: whilst Chti Balko was the other winning mention, on the day – comfortably taking the Haydock finale.
He was another who I could easily have tipped – but he was very well backed before I was able to act and that stopped me from doing so…

In addition to Mr Medic, the other winning eye catcher on the day, was Captain Redbeard.
He was a particularly frustrating one, as I tipped him last time, when he ran in the Grand Sefton at Aintree.

My reading of his performance there, was that he didn’t handle the ground.
Therefore, on even softer ground yesterday, I couldn’t be with him.

However, the ground clearly wasn’t the issue, as he ploughed through the mud and was a very game winner.
Post race, his connections said that he would have gone very close last time, if he hadn’t been badly impeded by a faller.

We were clearly more unlucky that day, than I thought !

For completeness, I thought Lil Rockerfeller was very disappointing, in the Long Walk hurdle at Ascot.
He’s long been a horse who takes a bit of cajoling - but when Trevor Whelan was having to get after him with a circuit still to run, I couldn’t see how it was going to end well !

To his credit, he stuck in there until the home turn – but then faded.

He’s better than that – and I suspect that come the big day in March, either blinkers or a visor will be deployed.

Don’t give up on him completely just yet: he still has the ability to go very close to winning the big one – particularly now that Unowhatimeanharrys star seems to be in decline…

Anyway, I think that covers just about everything on what was a very intense – if ultimately enjoyable day.

I’ll be back in touch, definitely on Boxing day morning – and possibly before then (if I spot any opportunities), with tips for the busiest day of the season !

Best wishes to you all for the Christmas period.

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of season report - 2017-18 (including survey feedback)

Overview As always, I’ll begin the season review with the headline figures: For the 2017-18 season (Nov 1 st – Apr 14 st ) a tota...