Monday 11 December 2017

Review of the day

I’m not sure how to sum up a day like today…

I felt this morning, that there was almost too much uncertainty to get involved – and yet at the end of the day, I wonder how I didn’t go through the cards !

I guess ultimately, I should be glad that I did tip a winner – but I should have done a whole lot better…

The winner I did tip, was A Hare Breath – and he won nicely at Sandown.
I covered him with Crossed my Mind and Evening Hush.
The former ran well to finish third – but the latter was never put into the race…

Why I didn’t adopt the same strategy with the final race on the Sandown card, I’m not sure.
I put up Southfield Theatre – but he ran a moody race and finished virtually last.

The only other one I considered in the race, was Benbens.
I tipped him last time at Cheltenham – and he ran a fair race.
With that run under his belt, and on better ground today – he proceeded to make all, hanging on bravely at the end.

If he had been 16/1 this morning, I would have put him up.
But you couldn’t beat 14/1 and I decide to draw the line there.
Irritating !

Earlier on the Sandown card, Brain Power was beaten in the Henry VIII novice chase – but not by Finian’s Oscar…

He set out to make all , but was harried throughout by North Hill Harvey.
Brain Power eventually saw him off – but had left himself open to a late challenge.

As I suggested might be the case this morning, it was Sceu Royale, who steamed past him – and he had the race won when Brain Power unseated at the last.

Obviously it wasn’t a great result – but there were mitigating circumstances, and I wouldn’t give up on Brain Power just yet.

Given a different ride, I could see a different result…

It was a similar situation in the Tingle Creek, where Fox Norton lacked the tactical pace to get past Politologue.
I think it conclusively proved that Fox Norton isn’t a 2 miler – the Ryanair is the race for him.

Politologue is a 2 miler – but he’s not as good as a peak form Altior or Douvan.
That division remains very confused…

Over at Aintree, Le Breiul tried to make all in the handicap hurdle – but was a sitting duck all the way up the straight – and Black Ivory eventually shot him.
At least we should get a price next time !

Blacklion was backed down to a ridiculous 7/4 for the Becher chase – and promptly hacked up !
I’m not sure what I can say, really.
It’s crazy that a horse can be sent off at that kind of price, in that kind of race – but the race went smoothly for him and he won as he liked…

Danny Cook was the one to take the initiative in the Many Clouds chase – and he got his fractions right on proven stayer, Defintly Red,
It was a good performance – but one he should have been capable of….

I was right about the ground for Captain Redbeard in the Grand Sefton (unfortunately).
He didn’t travel as he can – and when he was badly hampered by a faller at the sixth last, that was game up for him.

Gas Line Boy was hampered in the same incident – but he had plenty in reserve and won well.
He had drifted to 9/2 at the off – which would almost have been a sufficiently attractive price for me to get involved – if it had been available this morning…

Finally, I was right to take on Binge Drinker at Chepstow.
I may even have been right to take him on with Bob Ford.
However, we’ll never know for sure on that one, as he took a heavy fall at the fourth last, when in second place and still going nicely….

It was certainly a mixed up kind of a day !!

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of season report - 2017-18 (including survey feedback)

Overview As always, I’ll begin the season review with the headline figures: For the 2017-18 season (Nov 1 st – Apr 14 st ) a tota...