Sunday 3 December 2017

Review of the day

On a weekend where every tip I’ve issued has run well, but not managed to collect - it was maybe inevitable that Meri Devie would finish second this afternoon…

I can’t really have any complaints – she ran a good race, but not quite good enough to win.
A sloppy jump at the last maybe cost her a couple of lengths – but even if she’d flown it, I suspect she would still have finished second…

We all know that it’s a game of fine margins – and the tips have just haven’t had that bit of luck, over the past 3 days.
Maybe I used it all up on the first Saturday of the season !!

Earlier on the Fairyhouse card, Espir D’Allen was quite an impressive winner of the juvenile hurdle.
Like Apples Shakira, she is owned by JP McManus, and I’m sure Barry Geraghty will have a view on which one is the better.
I remain cautiously optimistic !

Mengli Khan was quite an impressive winner of the Royal Bond, strengthening his position at the head of the betting for the Supreme novice at the Cheltenham festival.
He certainly sets a fair standard – though I suspect he is beatable…

Over 2m4f in soft ground – and with her mares allowance, I’m not sure that Apples Jade is beatable.
She won the Hattons Grace by 9 lengths having look in no danger, throughout…

Death Duty was a good winner of the Drinmore – though I do think that he will always looks better on soft ground and a flat track.
I’ll be happy enough to oppose him when he comes over for Cheltenham…

Whilst Presenting Percy hacked up in the handicap phase – as his mark entitled him to do.
I guess I could be accused of over thinking things with him - but I do still find it strange that he ran in the race.

He’s not short of pace, so off that mark he could easily have been targeted at a much more valuable handicap.
His days in handicaps are now probably over (he’s likely to get 10lb or so for the win), which at least means he will be aimed at one of the conditions races at Cheltenham (either the RSA – or possibly, the NH chase).

At Leicester, I had narrowed down the veterans chase to the right 3 horses – but they finished in market order, with The Romford Pele coping with the drop back in trip.

Finally, Grand Coureur ran no sort of a race in the handicap chase – he was quite a drifter as well (out to 3/1 at the off).
I’m inclined to ditch him from the eye catchers list (please, Chris !).

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of season report - 2017-18 (including survey feedback)

Overview As always, I’ll begin the season review with the headline figures: For the 2017-18 season (Nov 1 st – Apr 14 st ) a tota...