Friday 27 April 2018

End of season report - 2017-18 (including survey feedback)

Overview


As always, I’ll begin the season review with the headline figures:

For the 2017-18 season (Nov 1st – Apr 14st) a total of 193 tips were issued across 156 races, with 178.5pts staked.

If you had managed to secure the price advised in the tips email, then you would have achieved a profit of 77.78pts (43.5% ROI).

It’s always a bit tricky knowing what a ‘fair’ price is, when I’m working out the figures: however, I only quote prices available with the main bookmakers – and I issue at times when they should be prepared to take a bet.

Whilst not everyone will have achieved these figures – most should have got close – and some may even have bettered them !

That statement is backed up by the fact that the figures for the season judged at BSP, are very similar to those at advised prices.

If you had taken BSP, to advised stakes, on all of the tips, then before commission, you would have made a profit of 73.19pts (41% ROI).

Obviously, a single figure doesn’t tell the whole story – and there was some variance in the prices of a number of the tips (the advised price was slightly better for most – but the BSP was significantly better for a few).
The bottom line however, is that if BSP had been taken, profits for the season would have been virtually the same as at advised price (which is certainly food for thought).


Tips Analysis


Although of questionable value, I like to monitor how the tips perform in terms of finishing positions (it helps give me a feel for whether the tips were particularly ‘lucky’ - or ‘unlucky’).
During the season, the following placings were achieved:

1st – 23
2nd – 21
3rd – 19
4th – 21

The consistent spread across the placings, suggests that the impact of luck was minimal (maybe slightly lucky).

Almost 23% of the selections finished first or second, which is close to my target of 25%.
Similarly just over 43% of selections finished in the first 4 – which again, is close to my target of 50%.

The numbers were probably slightly down on target, because Big races, tend to mean bigger fields – so getting placed is harder !

Another measure of ‘luck’ that I use, is how many of the tips that traded at 2.1 or less, subsequently went on to win the race.

This season, there were 42 horses traded at 2.1 or less (all of them actually traded at 2 or less).

23 of these won – 2 more than would have been expected with ‘average’ luck.

The suggestion again, is that the tips were slightly lucky during the season (though not as lucky, as they were unlucky last season !).

I didn’t feel they had much luck in the final month of the season - but in truth, up until that point, I couldn’t have complained.


In terms of the races that I tipped in: then 30 of the 193 tips were in races run in Ireland  - and they yielded a profit of 31.5pts (thanks mainly to Outlander and Tower Bridge !)
I doubt that will surprise many of you – as you all know how keen I am on the Irish racing !

Of the remaining 163 tips: 80 were in class 1 races (almost half) – with 44 in class 2; 37 in class 3 and just 2 in class 4.

I think this helps explain why the prices generally stood up so well (because most of the tips were in races with strong markets).

Interestingly, if you ignore the ante-post tips – and ones at the big spring festivals (Cheltenham in particular), then there were very few tips which crashed in price.

Ellens Way (which was one of the 2 tips in class 4 races) and Kris Spin, were the only winning tips, whose advised price was more than 50% greater than the eventual BSP.

If your profits didn’t come up to scratch this season, then it was probably because you missed the early price – but also, didn’t wait for the subsequent drift !
Timing can often be key ! 

Generally, whilst it is true that some of the tips shorten in price just after issue, many of them do drift back out to the advised price - or even beyond – which is something that is worth bearing in mind...


Changes to the service scope (including the new midweek blog)


As you are all aware, this was the first season where the service has focused solely on ‘Big races’.
The change was in response to the issues associated with trying to tip in small races, which came to a head last season.

I personally feel that the change was a great success, as it gave me the space to better focus on the races where we could actually place a bet.
It doesn’t surprise me that the end result was a greatly improve bottom line – and I don’t intend to make any change to the Main service scope for next season !


The midweek blog was a product of the change in scope – and I’m undecided as to how successful that was (the survey didn’t help much in removing the uncertainty !)

From my perspective; then it wasn’t too much of an issue finding the time to post on the blog – and I liked the fact that I didn’t feel compelled to post on any day (even if things got a bit silly towards the end of the season, when the bad weather decimated the mid week fixtures).

I liked the fact that I could just offer an opinion - rather than having to find tips – and I know that some people found it useful/entertaining. However, I don’t know exactly how many…

My feeling is that around 50 people read the blog, most days: about 30 Main service subscribers – plus about 20 others.

I was hoping that the blog might provide a source of new subscribers (with slightly different profiles) – but so far this hasn’t happened !
Maybe it’s a slow burner…

My current feeling is that the blog should continue in roughly its existing format, for at least another season.

It’s not a tipping vehicle (for a variety of reasons) – so there still won’t be any tips.
However, I may broaden the Lunchtime Nap concept and give more selections (possibly with star ratings).
I won’t maintain a P&L for them though – so it will be up to individuals to decide whether they can use the information to help make a profit…


The Forum


The TVB forum completed its third season – but in terms of popularity, it’s a bit like the blog !

Some people love it – and some just aren’t interested…

Personally, I think it is a valuable resource – though it obviously needs individuals to input, in order for that to be the case.

The likes of Chris, Francis, Neil, Dave, Gags, Paul and Steve, regularly do just that – and hopefully get plenty out of it.

I also know that quite a few of you appreciate their input – even if that’s rarely explicitly stated !

Undoubtedly the most valuable thing to come out of the forum in the past 12 months, has been Chris’s System bets.

In a show of rare diligence and determination, Chris has taken a seed of an idea and produced a System which has recorded outstanding profits for 6 consecutive months (I’ll gloss over this month – though there are still a few days in which things could be turned around !)

The really impressive aspect of Chris system is that has been profitable, betting either late morning – or at BSP.
For many of you, that should be gold dust – and Chris and I will be getting results proofed by the SBC over the next 6 months, with a view to offering it as a subscription option for the new TVB season.

More on that in October (hopefully !)


Survey results


Firstly, a quick thank you to everyone who completed the TVB survey.

It got a much higher response level than I expected, with over 80% of you taking the time to answer.
As s result, I do feel I have a view that can be relied upon.

The only issue is, there is quiet a lot of contradiction in the detail – but I guess that’s understandable (as the TVB service offers so many options !)

One thing that virtually everyone agreed on (98%), is that the change in focus to Big races, was the right move.
In truth, that was the main question in the survey – and with the P&L bottom line supporting it as well, I can categorically state, that won’t change next season !

In terms of the suitability of the tipping windows, then as you would expect, most people had a view on when was best – but they weren’t all in agreement !

Some don’t like the day before; some don’t like early morning; some don’t like late morning !

However, with just over 70% happy with the day before and late morning – and nearly 90% happy with early morning, it’s another thing which is unlikely to change.

As you all know, I only issue tips when I think you should be able to get on (so the race is priced up and the market relatively stable).
I like to issue them as early as I can, because it makes producing the write-up easier for me, if I know where I stand, tips-wise.
The fact that the prices have generally stood up, should mean that the time the tips are issued, isn’t really that important.

Hopefully, the BSP figures will give more of you confidence, that if you miss a particular price, there’s a fair chance it will re-appear closer to the off.

In terms of the write-ups: then most of you (95%) seem happy with it (as you would expect, after 6 seasons !).
There will always be tweaks I could make – but I also need to make the process of producing the write-up, as simple as possible (as it generally takes me 2-3 hours).

It’s also pleasing to see that most of you (90%) back some of the Mentions (hopefully not all of the Mentions !); whilst half of you back savers – and a quarter of you look for in running plays.
These are the areas where the write-up will hopefully continue to provide added value, compared to most other services.

As I’ve already said, about 30 of you use the forum (at least occasionally !); and whilst Chris’s System bet thread is understandably the most popular offering; Dave’s Naps competition, Steve’s Pricewise thread – and my eye catcher thread, all have their followers.
There’s always scope for another sub forum or two though - if any of you have any good ideas !

The midweek blog, was the area where it was most difficult for me to reach any conclusions from the survey.

About half of you seem to use it: with a third using it regularly to find bets; a third using it sometimes to find bets – and a third never using it as a bet source !

The general format (evening preview, lunchtime update, review) got a positive response – but there was a split in terms of whether there should be a Lunchtime nap.

Possibly the most interesting question concerned whether you were happy that the blog is available to non-subscribers.

Over 70% of you were comfortable with this – acknowledging its potential value to me as a marketing tool.
As I’ve already said, there will be no explicit tips on the blog, so people can really only use the content as a guide.


Overall, I was very happy with response to the survey.
I’ve emailed everyone who commented on any of the questions - hopefully providing a satisfactory response to any points made !

I will certainly look to repeat the exercise, in 12 months time…


Conclusions and next season


Usually, when I reach this point, I’m full of suggested improvements for next season – but that’s not the case this time…

Generally, the season went exceptionally well – aside from the final month (when I feel the dreadful weather messed things up).

I’ve continually evolved the service over the past 5 years – and whilst I would never think I’ve cracked it – I am probably as close to where I wanted to get, as I will ever be…

I will look to tweak the mid week blog next season – but the changes to the Main service will be minimal.

Hopefully the biggest change will be the introduction of a System bet subscription option, which will hopefully suit quite a few of you…


As always, I would like to thank you all for your support over the past 6 months.
Particular thanks need to go to Chris, Francis, Dave and Steve for their efforts in driving threads on the forum.

If I can find a bit of time (and the racing is up to scratch !) then I will make the occasional post over the summer, on the blog (and advise via the forum and Twitter, as now).

Otherwise, expect me to get back in touch at the beginning of October, with the plans for the 2018-19 season  !

Wishing you all a great summer !


TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of season report - 2017-18 (including survey feedback)

Overview As always, I’ll begin the season review with the headline figures: For the 2017-18 season (Nov 1 st – Apr 14 st ) a tota...