Sunday 12 November 2017

Review of the day

After Ut Majeur Aulmes yesterday, I didn’t feel we deserved another close second today – but that’s exactly what we got, courtesy of Sunnytahliateigan in the opener at Sandown.

In truth, I can’t have any complaints, he was beaten by a better horse on the day – though why I didn’t spot the better horse is a different matter !

When I was previewing the Cheltenham October meeting on the mid-week blog, I picked out Golan Fortune as a horse of interest in one of the handicaps.

He disappointed in that race – but my comment on the blog afterwards was:

It was all a bit too much for Golan Fortune – but there will be other days for him…’

How prophetic!
It’s just a shame that the prophecy chose today, to come true !!
I guess these things are sent to test us (they certainly test me !).

Crystal Lad was the only other tip on the day – and I was a bit disappointed by him.
I thought that everything was in place for him to run a really big race – but he didn’t…

His jumping wasn’t slick enough – and slick jumping is of paramount importance at Sandown.

I suspect time will show that it was a decent race, so in the circumstances, it was no surprise that he ultimately finished well beaten.

I wouldn’t write-him off just yet – though he now has got a little to prove…

Elsewhere on the card, Might Bite ended up an impressive winner of the intermediate chase.
Despite only being rated a few pounds higher than his rivals, he really did look different class.
It will be fascinating to see if he can take the step up to championship level (I’m sure that he has the natural ability - it’s just whether he also has the required temperament).

Finally, Houblon des Obeaux won an eventful veterans chase.
Double Ross was an early faller – which made thing easier for him – particularly as his main challenger proved to be Third Intention – and that one has suspect stamina.

At Ffos Las, Prime Venture was a comfortable winner of the handicap hurdle, with Firebird Flyer a running on third.
The latter will definitely be of interest next time – probably back over fences.

Finally, at Navan, Apples Jade showed her class on her seasonal debut, to get the better of Jers Girl.
As with Might Bite, it will be fascinating to see how far she can go this season…

TVB. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of season report - 2017-18 (including survey feedback)

Overview As always, I’ll begin the season review with the headline figures: For the 2017-18 season (Nov 1 st – Apr 14 st ) a tota...