Sunday 12 November 2017

Review of the day

Well, it was a winning day, so I guess I can’t complain – but I can’t help but feel that it could have ended up a fair but better than it did…

The fact that we did  come out on top, was down to London Prize.

As I said this morning, he seemed almost a bit too easy to find – and I was therefore a bit baffled as to why he wasn’t shorter in the market.
His price had shortened a little by the off – but not significantly – which also made me a little suspicious.
However, I shouldn’t have worried – he was clearly the best handicapped horse in the race – and with Lough Derg Spirit making it a true test – and him not objecting to the cheekpieces, the result was rarely in doubt.

Flying Tiger loomed up looking threatening approaching the last – but London Prize had the advantage of hard race fitness over him – and he won well.
If only it was always so simple !

Talking of which…

I’m sure you all thought that we were going get another brace on the day, when Ut Majeur Aulmes jumped the last and powered a couple of lengths clear at Aintree.
They rarely get beaten in that situation – particularly when Dickie is on board..
But somehow he did – collared in the shadow of the post by Baby King.

He traded at 1.01 in-running – so I think we can already say we are owed one !

The days other tips all ran with an element of credit – without proving quite good enough.

Earlier on the Aintree card, Holly Bush Henry traded at 2, when taking up the running approaching the second last.
However, Louis Vac Pouch had him in his sights – and this time Dickie did deliver…

He was the horse I really wanted to tip in the race – but the 2/1 this morning was too short.
He was actually sent off at 5/2 – and I had no trouble securing some 3/1 (which hopefully was also the case for a few of you)…

It was a similar story in the next at Aintree.
I wanted to tip On Tour – but felt he has also gone too short in the betting.
That certainly looked to be the case when he appeared to be struggling turning in – however, he then found some serious reserves and powered past his rivals…

I ended up tipping The Fresh Prince in that race – and he ran as I expected.
He set out to make all – but his jumping wasn’t good enough – and in truth, he probably isn’t up to that class…

It was a similar story with the final tip on the day, Henllan Harri.
His jumping wasn’t perfect, out of the rain softened ground - and forced to go a stride faster than ideal.
He put in his best effort – but ultimately finished well beaten…

As for the other Mentions:
Achille was very well backed at Wincanton – but ran like a horse in need of the outing (which was understandable).
In the mares race, Secret Door ran poorly – I was glad that I left that contest alone.
Cooking Fat looked like he was going to win at Kelso – but couldn’t get past a very gutsy Federici; whilst at Naas, Diamond Cauchois was another who looked in need of the run.
Finally, my decision to lay Bacardys proved a good one – as he could only finish a laboured third.
The race wasn’t even won by one of the horses I mentioned in the preview – but then again, I did suggest that it was a strong contest...

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of season report - 2017-18 (including survey feedback)

Overview As always, I’ll begin the season review with the headline figures: For the 2017-18 season (Nov 1 st – Apr 14 st ) a tota...