Sunday 26 November 2017

Review of the day

I previewed 11 races today: spending around 6 hours on form study – and another 3 hours writing up my thoughts.
I issued 7 tips across 5 of the races – and ended up with 0.25pt profit for my efforts !

Well, I guess it could have been worse !

And in truth, it could easily have been a lot worse…

It wasn’t my original intention to tip Lil Rockerfeller (I’m too fond of the horse to jinx him !) – but having written up my thoughts on his race, I wasn’t sure how I could issue them without tipping him !

It was therefore very pleasing to see his race unfold exactly as I expected.
He tracked the pace set by Wakae – went on rounding the home turn – and fended off the late challenge of L’Ami Serge.

Arguably, he was given too much rope by his main rivals – but the truth of the matter is that he’s not a horse you want to get in a battle with, either.

He’s a tough one to beat, however you play it – roll on March !

The other 2 big bets on the day, didn’t do quite so well…

Russe Blanc managed to unship Dickie Johnson at around half way.
He was last at the time, though still going well enough.

That said, I would have been a little surprised if he’d managed to beat the eventual winner, Hainan.
He didn’t have heavy ground form – and was trying a new trip – but improved massively for the test.

The saver, Emperors Choice, looked a shadow of his former self and could only finish a well beaten third…

Smad Place was the other big tip on the day – and I think events conspired against him.

There was standing start, to the race - and he got a flyer and led for the first mile or so.
That wasn’t the plan – he was supposed to be chasing Regal Regatta.

That one did eventually get to the front – but that took away Smad Places momentum and he faded out of contention.

Fortunately, I decided this morning to save stakes on Top Notch – and he took advantage of the race falling apart, to record a facile win.

I tipped in 2 other races on the day – but didn’t get close in either…

The ground on the hurdles track at Haydock didn’t seem quite as bad as I expected – and they were always going a bit too fast for Le Rocher.
Templeross appeared to be sulking from very early in the race – and is one best left alone, for the time being.

Dandridge never really featured at Ascot, with Sir Valentino a surprising winner, from Cepage.
I’m not sure what to make of the form – though I’ll be a little surprised if it was particularly strong…

As for the mentions: then Deauville Crystal clouted the very first fence and was on the back foot from that point.
She did well to run on and almost snatch third – and clearly has a fair amount of ability (I just think she needs a more galloping track).

Carnspindle ran a bit of a nothing race: spending most of her time in mid division (which is where she finished !).
She probably needs some help from the handicapper.

At Haydock, Cyrus Darius travelled very powerfully in the intermediate chase – in fact, much too powerfully !
He was never going to get home – and a mistake at the third last finally sealed his fate.
Back over the minimum trip, he remains of interest…

Chti Balko ran a nice ran until running out of steam.
He’s another who could be of interest, with less emphasis on stamina.

As too could Catamaran du Seuil – as he didn’t get home after travelling well to the home turn in the finale…

The most impressive performance of the day, was put up by Bristol de Mai, in the Betfair chase.
I thought he would take some beating under ideal conditions – though I didn’t expect him to romp home by 57 lengths !

He absolutely destroyed some top class horses – not something you see very often.

I doubt he’ll repeat the performance again this season – but it was still a sight to behold…

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of season report - 2017-18 (including survey feedback)

Overview As always, I’ll begin the season review with the headline figures: For the 2017-18 season (Nov 1 st – Apr 14 st ) a tota...