Sunday 5 November 2017

Review of the day

As first days of the season go, I’ve had worse…

In fact, 4 races in, I thought we were in for one of those unbelievable TVB days !

I guess most people would settle for 3 winners on the day (as will I !) – though it was a bit like getting the first 3 numbers in the lottery, and then nothing else !

Still, if I can manage 3 winners every Saturday, I suspect the season will speed by !

In terms of the detail:
Then Benatar got things off to the best possible start, at Ascot.
You all know how I love to pick up on – and follow horses – and he is a prime example of why…

I was massively impressed by him when he won a bumper on his debut at Fontwell, last season.
I felt at the time, that he might be something special – and his run at Aintree, last spring confirmed that (to my eyes, anyway !).

I have no idea what he was taking on today – but I knew they would have to be quite useful, in order to beat him off a mark of 142.
He pulled hard through the race – didn’t jump particularly economically – messed up the last – and still won with plenty to spare.

He’s a good horse, mark my words…

Next up, it was Kris Spin.
He was the first eye catcher to run this season – and he got them off to a brilliant start.

I wouldn’t get carried away with his performance: everything was right for him today – and under a forceful ride from Richard Patrick, he got the better of Hello George.

Great stuff !

Chris Pea Green was the next to run, at Ascot.
He disappointed – never getting into things – and looking as if he might still have a physical issue.
Good job he was a minimum stake bet !

The consolation (if there was one !) was that Calipto was the other horse I considered in the race – and he didn’t run a whole lot better (and with no obvious excuse).

Outlander was next up – and I guess, the high light of the day…
I’m a great respecter of Jessica Harrington – and I’m sure Our Duke is a good horse – but you can’t back horses like him at even money, first time out…

Something didn’t look right with him from quite early in the race (he may have hurt himself, when he made a mistake), but for whatever reason, he was beaten at half way.

With Outlander travelling nicely – and Carlingford Lough an early faller, I was optimistic that Outlander would at least place.
Coming to the last, I was hopeful that he might win !

And what a ride Jack Kennedy gave him – forcing him back past Road to Respect after jumping the final fence. Even Davy couldn’t have done better…

As for his price:
There might not have been much 25/1 available yesterday afternoon – but there was plenty of 20/1.
More than that, he returned with a BSP of 42 – and I backed him at 48 in running (at around half way, when he looked to be travelling very nicely - and Our Duke wasn’t !).
As I said this morning, the opportunities do present themselves – provided you have patience…

Back at Ascot, I had high hopes for Song Light – and I’m sure he would have run a huge race – if he had consented to start !
In fairness, I knew if was a danger. His jockey Kevin Jones, also knew it was a danger and had him buried amongst horses.
However, the horse is clearly a smart cookie – and he fancied letting the other have a nice lead.
After that, he had no chance…

Balco Des Flos was a NR back at Down Royal – and it was a bit too much for Tout Est Permis (no excuses offered !).

Finally (for the tips), Antony ran a decent race at Ascot – but looked to bump into a horse with about a stone in hand of his mark !
Go Conquer simply took apart highly competitive race – in a way that wasn’t easy to get your head round…

He will be raised at least 10lb for the win – but he won so easily, even that might not be enough…

A quick word for the Mentions…

The Cobbler Swayne was backed as if defeat was out of the question at Ayr – but ran as if he needed it.
Cyrus Darius also ran as if he needed it – though he’s clearly a class animal and was still good enough to win.
Mountain Mews was the third one on the Ayr card, who looked as if he would come on for the run – and he didn’t have sufficient in hand of his mark to win…

Le Bague au Roi showed real guts to win at Wetherby: but Lil Rockerfeller was just a bit disappointing…
I can believe he wasn’t 100% - but the way the race panned out, I would still have expected him to go very close.
I’m certainly not going to write him off on the back of one run – but he does now have a little bit to prove.
Finally, Coneygree made a bad mistake early in the Charlie Hall – and that seemed to effect his confidence. He was pulled up before half way.
With Cue Card falling (again), it was left to the 3 young pretenders to fight out the finish, with Bristol de Mai coming out on top.
I suspect he will be the one to beat in the Betfair chase – assuming the ground rides heavy…

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of season report - 2017-18 (including survey feedback)

Overview As always, I’ll begin the season review with the headline figures: For the 2017-18 season (Nov 1 st – Apr 14 st ) a tota...