Saturday 31 March 2018

Review of the day

For the third consecutive Saturday, I managed to tip a horse which traded odds on in running – and got beaten…

In truth, I’m a little surprised that Oscar Rose went as short as 1.83 – but she did, on the run between the final 2 flights.

In fairness, I felt she was going to go very close at that point – but her stamina then started to fade, on the very soft ground, and ultimately she finished well beaten.

Coologue didn’t do quite so well in the Newbury opener – though he looked to be travelling nicely enough heading out on the final circuit.

However, once headed he soon capitulated and it would appear that his physical issues still remain…

It was a little frustrating to watch Thomas Patrick win the race, as he was the solid option.
However, I felt that his price this morning, was little too short.

At the returned SP of 5/1, I may have had a dilemma – but that wasn’t an option when I was tipping…

Most of the days Mentions ran well – with Tiquer the high-light/low-light !
I got very close to tipping him – but just felt he was maybe punching a little above his weight.

However, as I suggested this morning, the race took little winning – and in conditions that suited him admirably, he was a worthy victor.

He was 16/1 this morning – but an SP of 9/1 suggested I wasn’t the only one who half fancied him…

Earlier on the Newbury card, Ostrakh le Noir probably should have won the juvenile hurdle.
He was almost certainly the best horse in the race – but he was far too keen – and then couldn’t recover from a mistake at the final flight.
Credit to Mister Chow for holding him off on the run in – though I’m not sure the form would be upheld if the pair were to re-oppose.

Mystifiable ran an odd race in the closing contest.
Up with the pace early, he lost his place down the back straight – but then swept into the lead turning in.

However, it didn’t look like great pace distribution – and I wasn’t overly surprised to see him weaken out of things after jumping the second last.
I stand by my comment that he would be better over 2m4f on decent ground – and with a few pounds off his back for todays run, he could well be on a winning mark, next time.

Over at Bangor, Rons Dream looked like she had won the mares chase when moving into the lead, approaching the last – but she hadn’t fully seen off Same Circus and that one rallied on the run in and eventually won with a bit in hand.

Finally, whilst I was right to oppose Rosmus Relay in the handicap hurdle – I chose the wrong one to side with.
In fairness, King of Fashion didn’t run badly – but he was left behind when the pace quickened rounding the home turn.
He’s another one who could be of interest next time, however…


TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of season report - 2017-18 (including survey feedback)

Overview As always, I’ll begin the season review with the headline figures: For the 2017-18 season (Nov 1 st – Apr 14 st ) a tota...