Sunday 25 February 2018

Review of the day

I’m sure most of you don’t need telling that I’ve hit a rich vein of form…

Those who have been on the service for a few years will know that it happens.
Normally earlier in the season – but it happens !

Today I issued a total of 11 Tips/Mentions and recorded 2 winners, 8 seconds – and an unseated at the first !

Now that’s consistency !!

Fortunately for us, the 2 winners were both tips – and as a result, it was another winning day.

I’m sure that a few of you would like me to be tipping every day at the moment – but that’s not how it works !

The reason things are going well is because I’m not pushing for winners – or even tips.
If they are there, I’m taking them: if they aren’t I’m leaving things alone.

You simply have to know where to draw the line in this game – that is absolutely key.

I really wanted to tip War Sound today – but the price went and so I left him alone.
Maybe he was lucky/unlucky to only finish a rallying second – but I think it was a valuable lesson, all the same.

You should never chase winners: ‘value’ is everything.

So endeth todays lesson Smile

On to the performances of the days tips…

Minella Daddy was first up – and I couldn’t believe that history repeated itself !

I tipped him last season, when he was nailed by Regal Encore – and exactly the same thing happened today…

In truth, I got very close to tipping Regal Encore – but I thought he would struggle with the soft ground.
However, the ground moved in his favour (it also suited Minella Daddy) – and despite the big turnaround in the weights, he was still a bit too good for Minella Daddy (though I think their respective jumps at the final fence, made the difference).

Next up it was Le Patriote.
He was originally my best day on the day – but I cooled a little on him when I looked more closely at the opposition !

However, I shouldn’t have worried – as he travelled like a class horse – and whilst he only did enough close home, he did enough !

Identity Thief was next – and his was the most frustrating performance of the day (even surpassing Minella Daddy !).

I knew he was a good tip – and when he over-took Forge Meadow on the home turn, I thought he was a great tip !

However Sean Flanagan had made his move a bit early – and Robbie Power was able to galvanise Forge Meadow for a second effort.

The frustrating aspect was that Identity Thief could have won – but such is life…

Silsol was next – and his race lasted precisely one fence !
I felt the booking of Noel Fehiy would help with his jumping – but it didn’t !

The annoying thing with him, was that he had been backed in to 5/1 at the off, so a big run was expected.
I’m sure he would have gone close – but alas, you’ll have to take my word for that !

The final tip on the day was Tommy Rapper.
I often bang on about the need for a bit of luck – and I suspect he had some.

Top Ville Ben fell early, bringing down Black Ivory.
I felt the latter was the biggest danger to Tommy Rapper – so him out of the race made things a whole lot easier.

Tommy Rapper still had to work very hard for victory – but under a strong finish from Bridget Andrews, he managed to wear down Theos Charm, close home.

Pleasing stuff !

As for the Mentions:

Dame de Compagnie should probably have won the opener at Ascot – but I suspect that Barry Geraghty was a bit too keen to give her an easy race and it was too late, by the time he realised she wasn’t going to cruise home !

In the following race at Ascot, Ms Parfois wasn’t able to reel in the ultra game Black Corton.
Rarely will you see a horse improve as much as the winner has, this season.

At Wincanton, War Sound did too much, too soon, and couldn’t withstand the challenge of Sea Wall, up the home straight.
He was rallying at the end of the race – but couldn’t get back up.

There were no excuses for Chti Bello – Elgin was just a bit too good (which was surprising); and it was a similar story at Gowran, where the revitalised Our Duke was too good for Presenting Percy.

The runner up lost little in defeat however, as the winner looked a legitimate Gold Cup contender.

Finally, in the race of the day - and arguably the race of the season - Cue Card attempted to run the finish out of his rivals - but Waiting Patiently stalked him and pounced jumping the last.

It was as good a race as you will see – with a brilliant performance from both the winner and the runner up,

It really did epitomise everything that is great about the NH game…

TVB.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of season report - 2017-18 (including survey feedback)

Overview As always, I’ll begin the season review with the headline figures: For the 2017-18 season (Nov 1 st – Apr 14 st ) a tota...