Sunday 15 April 2018

Review of the day

I have to admit, that when On Tour failed to pick up, and reel in Thomas Patrick, I had resigned myself to another losing day…

I actually think that I’ve issued some decent tips, this week, at Aintree – Grand Vision and Landin, spring readily to mind.

However, virtually non of them had run their race – until On Tour…

He was a little risky – but I could see from around a mile from home, that he was travelling well – really well !

Part of me was just pleased to see a tip performing as hoped – but ofcourse, I really wanted him to win.

However, in accordance with Sods Law (and I’ve become very familiar with that recently !), he bumped in to one.

I knew that Thomas Patrick was the main danger – but felt was too short in the betting, at 9/2 this morning.

As so often seems to be the case however, 9/2 ended up a generous price - with him backed in to a scarcely believable 3/1 – in a highly competitive 16 runner handicap.

He actually made a mess of a fence on the first circuit – but he clearly had plenty in hand of his mark – and gamely though On Tour tried, he couldn’t run him down…

The great thing about racing however, is that things can change in an instant – and that’s precisely what happened in the very next race…

Again, Identity Thief was hardly the most solid selection I’ve issued this season (few 20/1 shots are !) - but I knew he had the ability to win, provided he stayed the trip.

As expected Sean Flanigan settled him at the back early – and he gradually picked off his rivals, on the run down the back straight.

Turning in, he was still on the bit and looked likely to at least place: when he was still cantering approaching the last, I was very optimistic – and sure enough, he found sufficient on the run in to hold off Wholestone, quite comfortably…

Rarely has a winner been so welcome !

It’s been a long time between drinks – too long, in fact !

Obviously, at that point, I was optimistic that Vieux Lio Rouge might be able to take the big one – and completely turn around fortunes.

And he ran well – but not quite well enough. His finishing position of nineth being a little worse than he’s managed the 2 previous seasons…

Somewhat ironically his connections took the opening race on the card –and in doing so, scuppered both of the Dan Skelton horses that I’d sided with.

I expected both of them to run better than they did – but as I said earlier, that has been the case for a few of the horses I’ve put up over the past 3 days (I’m blaming the ground !)…

As for the Mentions:

Then On the Blind Side just didn’t fire (probably the only disappointing runner Nicky Henderson had all week) – leaving Black Op to courageously fend off Lostintranslation.
A rare recent victory for the form book over stable form !

Petite Mouchoir boiled over a little pre-race – and whilst he didn’t blow it completely, it probably resulted in him running a little below form.
It was Diego de Charmil who took advantage – which was a little surprising, considering he has a marked preference for decent ground.

It did look like there would be a winning Mention in the final race of the day, but having just taken up the running, Scheu Time stumbled and fell after jumping the final flight.

It just goes to show, it’s never over until the Fat Lady sings !

And, as far as this season goes, then the Fat Lady has not only started singing – she gone through her repertoire – and is now packing away her stuff !

The 2017-18 TVB season is officially over !

I’d just like to thank you all, once again, for your support throughout the past 6 months.

It did look like it was going to be the best season ever – but the last month has been a struggle.
I guess we wouldn’t want it too easy !!!

I will spend next week, working on the end of season report – and hopefully get it issued, sometime next weekend (or early the week after).
I’m also in the process of responding on any points made in the survey - so if you completed it and have not heard from me yet, you will do soon !

As for the next few months – then I will certainly be active in the forum (Chris’s System bets will run throughout the summer months) – and I may even post the occasional preview on the midweek blog, assuming there are some suitable race and I can find a bit of time !

Other than that, expect me to be back in touch in the autumn - for the launch of the 2018-19 TVB season.

I hope you all have a great summer !

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of season report - 2017-18 (including survey feedback)

Overview As always, I’ll begin the season review with the headline figures: For the 2017-18 season (Nov 1 st – Apr 14 st ) a tota...