Tuesday 9 January 2018

Review of the day

There was no joy with either of todays tips – which was quite disappointing, as I really fancied them !

In fairness, both ran reasonable races – but neither did well enough to come home in front.

I always knew that was a possibility with Top Gamble – I just couldn’t see him not running a very big race.

And to an extent, I was right: he was only beaten 8 lengths by an improving winner – with a further 8 lengths back to the next horse.
Unfortunately there were 2 more horses between him and the winner - so the place part of the bet was sunk, along with the win part…

It was a similar story with Colin’s Sister.
I’d narrowed her race down to 3 – and felt reasonably confident that she was the best of the 3.
In fact the only thing that made me nervous, was that the betting wasn’t viewing things as strongly as I was ! (I felt that Colin’s Sister could easily have been a 6/4 shot)

I had the right 3 on my short list – but it was Wholestone who came home in front.
He had been beaten by Colin’s Sister on 2 occasions this season – but reversed the form this afternoon.

He jumped better than is often the case – and maybe Colin’s Sister was a bit too keen.
They are always fine margins – so it doesn’t need a lot to go against you (which is why I’m always after a price).

It was a similar story with the Mentions.
The two I felt most strongly about both ran at Musselburgh – and both managed to finish second.

Upsilon Bleu was run out of it close home by Knockgraffon: whilst Silver Concord was outspeeded by Sir Chauvelin.
Again, both perfectly feasible results – if a little irritating…

Back at Cheltenham, Tikkanbar was a good winner of the opener – considering he barely jumped a hurdle !
Aye Aye Charlie ran a fair race to finish fourth…

Ballymalin came in for a lot of support in the 12:50 – but was absolutely no match for Vyta du Roc, who seemed transformed by the fitting of cheek pieces.

Willoughby Court didn’t seem overly happy on the very soft ground – and probably lost what chance he had, when he made a bad mistake at the fourth last.
I. sure he’ll be back…

Arthurs Gift was a little disappointing in the handicap hurdle.
He was another who was probably too free early and had little left when it mattered.

Finally, Kingofthecotswolds was unable to close the gap on Acey Milan – who made all and won impressively.

Looking back through the write-up, I gave a chance to every one of the days winners – I just didn’t select any of them as my first choice in their respective races.
I guess it happens that way, sometimes…

As a quick reminder, there will nothing from me now, until Friday evening at the earliest (when there may be a tip or two for Saturday).

I’ll definitely be back on Saturday, when we have the re-scheduled Welsh National to look forward to (amongst other things !).

Until then…

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of season report - 2017-18 (including survey feedback)

Overview As always, I’ll begin the season review with the headline figures: For the 2017-18 season (Nov 1 st – Apr 14 st ) a tota...